SCRIBBLING is a blog written for the blogger to express her innermost thoughts with no intention to hurt anyone's beliefs or individuality... for these are all... mY tHougHtS...

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

FILIPINO VALUE: CLOSE FAMILY TIES



First of all, let me define values as written in the dictionary. Values are beliefs of a person or social group in which they have an emotional investment, or the quality that renders something desirable or valuable. Every value has its corresponding positive and negative aspect.


One of the many Filipino values which I wish to convey my thoughts about is Close Family Ties. Eversince I was a child, I have observed this value from my own kin. Advantages? Since family is the basic unit of society, first people to help us in times of need and difficulties are our family members and relatives, may it be financial or moral problems. And one more thing that we Filipinos are proud of is our love and gratitude for our elders who, whether were good or were cruel to us during our childhood years, on their old age, we keep them in our homes, feed them, bath them, and take good care of them. We do not just leave them on the nursing homes or send them away from home, or maltreat them, right? (I hope all of us Filipinos still do the same. For whatever you do unto others, will be done unto you.) When one receives misfortune, family members are ready to lend a helping hand. They are our protectors too against our detractors or critics whose eyes are just watching for our fall, for our mistakes.


Disadvantages? Some members abuse our kindness. We give them our hand, they want the best we have and won't stop asking until nothing is left to us. Out of 9 kindness you bestowed to them, with 1 mistake or failure to extend our help, they will burst their anger and call us selfish and proud, forgotten those times we have helped them and fed them. Makes us feel that they own everything we have coz' they are members of the family.


Another very good example I have observed, some parents consider their offsprings their wealth, someone who will lift them from poverty. Children who must earn a living for them when they grow old, to buy or build them a house and give them luxury in life which they weren't able to fulfill because of their own misfortunes. (Again, I'm talking not in general but for most Filipinos my dear readers.) Let me just remind you fellow Filipinos, that children are parents' responsibilities entrusted by God to them. It is not then the parents who are children's responsibility because they will have their own family too as their major responsibility. Now it's the discretion of the offspring how to show his love for his parents in ways he could. Not to work like a carabao for his own family and burden himself for his parents and siblings and relatives. Such a disgrace to foreign nationals! Why are most foreigners hate their betterhalf's Filipino families? One of the reasons is because family members abuse the kindness of the foreign husband/wife. They depend on the monetary assistance they get from the foreigners and consider that they will live a fabulous life to suffice their whims all throughout without considering that the couple have their own life too with their children to raise. Tendency, many Filipino women suffers emotional pain brought out by their selfish families and relatives who depend much from them, and at times get hurt too with their partner's complaints because they get sick and tired too of this Filipino value. We fear that our families and our relatives will hate us, will curse us, and consider us too proud, and so we get to embrace what we were taught to do, these Filipino values. Yet may I ask, are there any limits? Do we have to sacrifice and suffer just to please our members? Then what? Nothing left for us until we all are become vagabonds? (not being exaggerated but seeing all possibilities...) or worse, being divorce because foreign nationals can no longer live with this way of living, understanding the partner and his family. Then? Poor Filipinos...
But if we will all work hard for our own good, for our own immediate family, and will not depend on anyone, even from our siblings and parents... IF... then what a wonderful life a Filipino will have!
Wake up brethren! Wake up Filipino men whose wives are working overseas to support your needs and your children's needs while you guys in the Philippines are spending the money for non-sense alcoholic beverages, gambling, and women who are just after your money! Wake up Filipino women whose husbands are out there from different parts of the world working hard for your future and for your children's future while you are wasting the money they are sending you with all your vanities and your extravagant caprices. OPEN YOUR EYES AND YOUR MINDS... Filipinos whose lovedones are married to foreign nationals and yet still depending on their monetary support. Do not be abusive! If you do love them, feel for their needs too and the consideration that must be shown and be given to the foreign husband.
Let us not make use of this Filipino Value Close Family Ties an excuse for us to abuse the kindness of our family members. Stand on your own!
Spread the good news to everyone that not all Filipinos marrying a foreign national is just because they want to run away from poverty and let their families depend on their wealth, but because there is TRUE LOVE... An unconditional love which most men look for a wife to be their partner, their lover, and their friend.
Still, I'm proud to be a Filipino raised by a Filipino parents who value Close Family Ties more on the positive side and not on the negative aspect of it :) and I love my family... do you?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah because of too much close family ties of filipinos that is the main reason why most of the family members left in Philippines abuse their family member abroad because they think that this family of them will fulfill all their dreams. Dreams that is just using the efforts of others. Why not just working on their on hands, be satisfied and treasure what is shared to them. Really some Filipinos have this attitude of without contentment. Hope some of the reader also WHO will read this article especially those who are thinking that life in foreign land is heaven will realized that it is not good to always depend their family abroad and never make money out of them. I never trash out my Filipino blood and culture since from the start I AM A FILIPINO, PROUD TO BE PINOY TILL THE END, but just to relay all of YOU: "STOP THINKING FOR THE BEST OF YOUR OWN CAPRICES, ALSO THINK YOUR FAMILY MEMBER ABROAD WHO IS WORKING THAT LIFE ABROAD IS NOT THAT EASY AS YOU THINK same to your FAMILY MEMBER WHO IS MARRIED TO A FOREIGN that it is easy for us to cover all of your deeds to our partners. ALSO THINK OF OUR OWN FAMILY FUTURE NOT JUST YOUR OWN CAPRICES.

Wed Aug 06, 12:59:00 PM 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find websites or perhaps someone's blog who has the same feelings as I do about this type of matter. Evidently, I did find another persons blog who, had felt the same way as this. I already commented on her blog and I'm glad to have found your blog as well, and got the chance to post a comment too.

I'm a daughter and I've been seeing this type of problem going on with my mom and all of her family's side back in the Philippines for a long time now. Honestly, about 3-4 years ago it has gotten to the point where me and my mom constantly fight a lot about this matter. I am merely trying to give advises to her nicely, to not spoil her relatives by always sending them money whenever they ask..but she always does without any hesitations. She spoils them. I end up being the bad person and she tells me that I hate her family. For about a year now, sadly I have kept my silence as it's the only best thing to do. Obviously, my mom will do as she pleases to financially help her relatives, even though she's got many obligations and a family here in the states. My mom has another sister here in the states and she does helps send money to the relatives also in the Philippines once in a while. However, I hear from my aunt that she knows how to set her limitations and when to say 'no' to them in the Philippines. My mom however is too nice. The relatives will call or write and it's like okay,sige...and she'll send the money asap...no questions asked.

For about 20 years (when I was a kid to my adult years) my mom had supported an older brother, his wife and family. Every letter my uncle wrote, he asked if my mom could send more because it was not enough and that he needed to buy whatever. My dad would hear stories from other relatives and friends in the Philippines that the money being sent to them is used for drinking beer sa kanto with their buddies, to have a good time or to impress the neighbors that they have a rich relative from abroad. Eventually, my mom would send more. But now that he recently passed away, the support stopped.

HOWEVER..now and recently it's the many nieces and nephews who are now writing or calling for financial help from my mom. I've got a lot of cousins back there. It pisses me off because they are much older than me..they have thier own wives or husbands and some of them don't even work.. They still have little kids and I had secretly read a letter from a female cousin whose asking my mom if she can help put them thru school. I don't know how old these kids are, but I'm guessing they're still young. So I guess the support will be from elementary to college. That's like how many years of financial support. My mom's getting old already reaching 60's and she has raised us, put us thru school and everything for many years. I feel that it's time that my mom took a rest already and not be burdened of putting other people kids thru school, when it's supposed to be my cousins' and her husbands obligation. This is what's pissing me off. We, the children don't always get what we want from my mom, we have to earn it. Yet, here's her niece or nephews calling her up or crying for whatever problems they have and voila..instant support for them.

Something I also noticed (by watching a game show Wowowee on TFC here in the states) is that it seems the majority of most women back in the Philippines are just plain "housewife". By looking at them, they look strong enough for me to get a job, so why not help out your spouse to provide for the kids/family? Then they always complain how life is hard, there's barely nothing to eat and that the husband merely earns enough for all of them. Yet they have so many kids...and then who's to care for them? Someone like my mom who's probably in the same situation.
Actually, this is an example of my uncles wife that I mentioned above (my mom's older bros wife). I saw a picture of hers and she looked strong to me. She did not work. I asked my parents if she worked they said no and I was like...okay whatever and I just didn't comment anymore.

This filipino close family ties thing does have two sides to it. The good..well because they are afterall family and blood and when they need help who else are they going to turn to. However the bad, sometimes being too nice and generous could also lead to abusement in a way that they are dependent on my mom like she's their mother/bank and she's obligated to support them til eternity. I grew up and was raised the american way where you have to earn for what you want to acheive or attain in life. I never expected this filipino close knit type of thing was like this. I know and understand that my mom loves her side of the family, but I never expected them to be as depend on my mom like this, like for the longest time in her life.

Anyhow, though my parents are both filipino (neither one is a foreigner which was mentioned here in this topic)..still this has the same problem of relatives (back in the Philippines) constantly depending on family here abroad for monetary or financial help/support. I really wish they'd wake up to reality and fend for themselves and their own families.

It's seems like it's a reality in general for most filipinos to send money to thier loved ones in the Philippines. Yet, they don't seem to stop and think..how about them in abroad? Are they ok? Maybe they have lots of bills to pay, a house, a car, utilities. I wonder if they back there ever feel embarrassed and ashamed on relying for money from relatives here. Life indeed is hard here in the states also and if we don't work as well, we have nothing...no car, no house, no food and we would be in the same predicament as them in the Philippines..nothing.

Every 1st of the month (a time when the senior citizens recieve their pensions), I see so many of these filipinos hurry over to those bank remittances centers just to send money to thier family in the Philippines. Some of them talk about thier family members with different stories and how a relative needs money. How they ask and ask for more each month. Sometimes, it makes you think, hopefully that money being sent is really being used for good purposes. Most of the time, I hear that they just drink, gamble, or take it easy like they live like kings and queens and have no problem in the world. When the money's gone, that's when they'll complain and ask when the next monthly allowance will come again. ayyyy!

I too am a filipina and I'm proud of my filipino heritage, where my parents came from and where my roots are from. However, matters or situations like this (which seems to be filipino culture thing to support extended families)..well it's really disturbing and it does affect us back here abroad who are living and working for a living just to have the necessities in life.

On a personal note, we are not super rich like Donald Trump or Paris Hilton. We all work that's why we have what we have today. When I was younger and we first migrated here to the states, my family didn't have much and I could still recall the time that my parents, siblings and I all stayed in a one bedroom garage in one of my aunts house a long time ago. It was such a pity. We had nothing either. Til little by little and with both my parents hard work, determination and both earning a living..we were able to get our first home. I'm so thankful and greatful to my parents because they worked so hard for us to improve our lives and for us have a better home. They never depended on anyone financially. They did it on thier own with no help from anybody and it was because of hard work from the both of them. Then as we grew older, then that's when he helped our our parents out, too.

This IS the thing I WISH those relatives or people back in the Philippines should be determined for. They should earn their own living with thier own blood and sweat for thier own families.

Lastly and personally there's nothing wrong with helping out family members when they need help for money like for emergencies and stuff. I'm there right away to help. But if they call or write you constantly and they depend on you like you're the "Bank of America" ATM and expect monthly support... then that's a totally different matter. It's like you're supporting another family other than your own..and for me I beleive immediate family and family priorities come first. This is something I wish I mom would realize. For those in the Philippines, I wish they'd wake up and smell the coffee that we here abroad have our lives too.

Honestly, I really want to speak up (well at least in a letter since they are far away), but I don't know these relatives by face and I never met them. I only know they're my cousins by blood. Plus, I don't want to cause any embarrassment or problems for my mom towards her relatives, as I love and respect my mom. BUT..on the other hand, as a daughter how long can I tolerate these relatives taking advantage of my mom if no one will speak up? The problem is my mom doesn't speak up. They think it's okay to just just ask and ask. Actually, I can just imagine the laughing smirks on their faces. They're probably saying "oh yeah, auntie --- will send money right away, call her." ..and my mom will just give and give. Someone really needs to advise them and say "Look money does not grow on trees here in america..you guys should do something to improve your lives also, rather than depend on other people for your daily living."

Well, I've pretty much said a whole lot. I apologize if my comment is very long. I really needed to let out some steam of how I was feeling about this matter. It's just been going on for too long for our family.. Too too long..and sadly there's nothing I can really do about these relatives of mine, but to just post about it.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found your blog:)!

Tue Sep 02, 02:43:00 AM 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have similar discussions in my blog and the replies are indeed many... sons, daughters, husbands, you name it and it is there. I feel shame on this attitude actually. You are definitely correct with your contention..

CLose family tie is such a very shallow reason without good basis. If one is married, the family is the husband and children, not the sisters and brothers and cousins and parents and aunts and you name it and you know it in Philippines.

Sat Sep 20, 07:09:00 PM 2008

 
Blogger Unknown said...

can I re-post this for our educational research? thanks! more powers and God Bless!

Mon Jun 24, 12:10:00 PM 2013

 
Blogger Unknown said...

can I re-post this for our educational research? thanks! more powers and God Bless!

Mon Jun 24, 12:11:00 PM 2013

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Philippines

Passionate yet sensitive.